What does web conferencing bring to the classroom?
- Interactive web conferencing increases accessibility.
- Interactive web conferencing increases student-to-student and student-to-teacher interaction.
- Interaction is also increased because there is a set time where the class comes together synchronously, which helps eliminate feelings of isolation or lack of interpersonal connections with classmates and the instructor that may occur in a fully asynchronous online course.
- Interactive web conferencing promotes active learning.
- Interactive web conferencing adds variety
- Make sure the learning goals, and not the technology, drive the instruction.
- Establish a protocol for how students should ask to speak or alert the instructor they are finished commenting so that passing the microphone is easier in larger groups.
- Change initial settings so that everyone can chat with all attendees and students have ability to do everything (like annotate).
- Add the technical support number to every invitation to a meeting.
What is some practical advice for web conferencing with a class?
- Since we often have multiple peripheral devices connected to our computers remind your students to select the microphone and speaker source they intend to use.Remind participants to keep background noise and paper shuffling to a minimum and to mute their microphone when they do not need to speak.
- Keep e-mail running in the background and have your phone handy in case students try and contact you when having technical difficulties.
- Always check that students can hear you (and others) well and ask them to alert you if they are having trouble hearing.